The "Gecko" Chessboard is an example of marquetry work at its finest as shown in this piece by Max Clerteau who studied with master craftsmen in France and Australia. Marquetry is the art of using contrasting pieces of timber to create a pattern or picture on a surface - in this case both pattern and picture. The beautifully evoked image of the Gecko appears and disappears on the chessboard depending on your viewpoint and the angle of the light. The image is subtly captured by turning the pieces of wood that make up the gecko at a right angle to the surrounding timbers so that they reflect the light differently. Not blatant enough to distract the serious chess player it is a beautiful and subtle decorative accent to the chess board that stands as a work of art in its own right. It is designed to be left on display when not in use to enjoy glimpses of the gecko as you pass by. Max has used New Guinea Walnut for the border with Silver Ash and Qld Maple for the squares. The optional chess pieces are classic Staunton chess pieces, weighted and made from Boxwood and Ebony.
- Height 1.3cm x Width 46cm x Length 46cm
*Note: This unique Wooden Chess Board is handcrafted; the above dimensions and weight are approximate measurements only. The photos above are of the actual Chess Board you will be purchasing. For more information please see our Australian handmade quality guarantee.
- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane - 2 days
- Regional NSW, VIC, QLD - 3 days
- Hobart, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin - 4 days
- Regional TAS, SA, WA, NT - 7 days
- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane - overnight
- Regional NSW, VIC, QLD - 2 days
- Hobart, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin - 2 days
- Regional TAS, SA, WA, NT - 3 to 4 days